Carrots and Fennel, braised with orange and honey
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into thin 3 inch sticks
- 1 fennel bulb, ends trimmed, bulb cut in half, each half cored and cut lengthwise in thin slices
- 1 tbsp of orange zest
- 1/2 tsp crushed fennel seeds
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- Freshly ground black pepper & salt, to taste
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped fennel fronds or dill
Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add the butter, olive oil, and honey. Stir well and add the carrots, fennel, orange zest and fennel seeds. Toss until the slices are well coated with the oil. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, tossing occasionally, until the fennel starts to soften.
Add the water, orange juice, salt, and pepper. Toss and reduce heat to medium-low. Cover the pan and simmer for 10 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Uncover the pan and simmer quickly until the juices have all evaporated.