O-la-la Orange pan-tart
Ingredients (serves 6)
For the topping
- 100 g / 1/2 cup caster (superfine) sugar
- 125 ml / 1/2 cup water
- 1 vanilla bean (split and seeds scraped)
- 2 oranges (very thinly sliced)
For the cake
- 4 eggs
- 200 g / 1 cup caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150 g / 1 1/4 cup self-rising flour
- 140 g / 1/2 cup butter (melted)
- 100 g / 1 cup almond meal (ground almonds)
Preheat the oven to 160°C/320°F/Gas 3. To make the topping, place the sugar, water and vanilla in a 24 cm/9.5 inch non-stick ovenproof frying pan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
Add the orange slices and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the orange is soft. Remove from the heat and set aside. Mix eggs, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer and whisk for 8-10 minutes or until the mixture is thick and pale.
Sift the flour over the egg mixture and fold through. Fold through the butter and almond meal. Pour the mixture over the orange slices and bake for 40-45 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Turn out onto a platter to serve.