Quinoa with Pomegranate, Radish, Cucumber & Fresh Herbs
Ingredients (serves 4-6)
- 1 1/2 cups (12 oz./375 g.) quinoa
- 3 cups (24 fl. oz./750 ml.) low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 large lemons
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbs. pomegranate molasses
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 cup (4 fl. oz./125 ml.) extra-virgin olive oil
- Small bunch of radishes, cleaned and sliced
- 1/2 large cucumber, finely diced
- 4 green onions, white and tender green parts, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (1/3 oz./10 g.) coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup (1/3 oz./10 g.) coarsely chopped fresh mint
Put the quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer. Rinse thoroughly under running cold water and drain. In a skillet or saucepan, bring the broth to a boil over high heat. Add the quinoa and 1/4 teaspoon salt, stir once, and reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook, without stirring, until all the water has been absorbed and the grains are tender, about 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
Finely grate the zest from 1 of the lemons, then halve both lemons and juice the halves to measure 5 tablespoons (3 fl. oz./80 ml.). In a small nonreactive bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and zest, garlic, pomegranate molasses, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and several grindings of pepper until the sugar dissolves. Slowly whisk in the olive oil to make a dressing. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Add about three-fourths of the dressing to the quinoa and stir to mix well.
Mix the cucumber along with the green onions and remaining dressing. Add to the quinoa along with the parsley and mint and stir gently to mix well. Taste, adjust the seasoning, and serve right away.